Tuesday, September 27, 2005

27th September

Yesterday was my first day release session. I've been give 2 mornings off school to work on my degree. When I went into school I was immeadiately pounced on to provide cover for an ICT teacher who had to dash home for one of her children. She had left minimal instructions for a years 7 and 8 lesson. Fortunately I had taught both the classes before because as it turned out they were 7 and 9. The 7s were fine but the 9s have a contingent of 5 stroppy girls. They are immature, disrutive and loud arriving late to class. I felt flustered at first as I was prepared for 8s. I found it made me angry on 2 levels that first I had to establish where they were in their studies and that I had to deal with the interuptions of these girls coming in late and talking having little regard to the rest of the pupils and myself.
I don't think I dealt with the situation very well. I did try the calm approach request they sit and are quiet through the starter in the end I shouted over them which made me feel angry with myself for losing my temper and with them for making me. I sent 2 out to to calm down and allow the rest to settle and to give the instructions. I then went outside to talk to the other 2. They continued being rude and difficult. An Asst. head was passing and watched me trying to talk to these girls. She actually took the 2 girls away and spoke to them so that I could get on with teaching the rest. The lesson continued well with the girls missing the other 3 were on task until the girls returned supposedly apologetic. I'm afraid I coped out something that makes me cross with other teachers. I had run out of computers, I sent 3 girls to work in the other ICT room. On reflection I could have attempted to reform my relationship with these girls, I decided initially not to disturb other pupils who were on task. I did go and see how the girls were geting on and speak calmly about the work with them. They were still not properly responsive but I felt I had tried to bridge and act in the mature fashion I should as teacher.

1 Comments:

At 9:32 pm, Blogger Tilly said...

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for visiting my blog, I thought I would come and say hi on yours. Its looking great.

Carolin Green

 

Post a Comment

<< Home